Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Two Weeks To Go: My Memorable Moments


Just over two weeks to go and I can’t wait to get to Seattle for my eighth NACAC Conference!

I think that my most memorable NACAC moment was when I was elected to the Board of Directors, but I also vividly recall hearing Jonathan Kozol speak in Pittsburgh (PA) and meeting Hugh O’Brien. For me, the Rising Star Awards are always a highlight.
In terms of sessions, there have been too many great ones to name, but I will tell you that I have learned a lot of things at NACAC conferences that have made me better at my job. I also like the socials…

I’ll be welcoming all of the Conference First-Timers at their special conference session on Thursday, September 25 at 11:30am and I’ll encourage them to take advantage of the many things that NACAC has to offer: varied programming, networking opportunities, exhibitor information and the chance to experience the great Pacific Northwest.

I’ll also be sure to remind them to attend the meeting of their state/regional affiliates. That’s not just a good tip for first-timers, but for everyone. It's more than an excellent way to catch up on all the activities at home, it’s also an ideal way to connect with friends and colleagues from your own region.


The real trick to making the most of the conference is to do everything. If it’s on the schedule – go. If you’re invited – go. If it sounds interesting – go. That’s really the best conference advice I can offer – meet people and do things.

In my last posting I told everyone that I had started my “NACAC 2008” folder and I am happy to report that it now contains my BADGE (so that I will be sure to bring it to Seattle!).

See you in a few weeks!
Lisa Sohmer
Director of College Counseling
Garden School, NY